When you love the scent of freshly baked apple pie (truthfully, who doesn’t?), then this Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Potpourri Mix is for you. With this pleasant recipe simmering on the stovetop, your complete dwelling will scent like a freshly baked apple pie—with solely a fraction of the work! This dried mix additionally makes a splendidly cheap and pleasant natural reward, so take into account doubling or tripling the batch to share with others.
Stovetop potpourris, also referred to as “simmering spices,” have been used for hundreds of years to fill houses with the comforting smells of native fruits, spices, flowers, and herbs. Not like most store-bought candles and incense blends, selfmade stovetop potpourri is completely pure and freed from harsh artificial fragrances. As a bonus, these fragrant creations are additionally cheap as a result of they characteristic frequent kitchen substances that you just most likely have already got on-hand, like cinnamon and apples.
Earlier than it, you’ll be creatively mixing and simmering all types of mixtures to find your personal private favourite!
Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Potpourri
2 dried apples
Four star anise (Illicium verum) seeds
¼ cup dried ginger (Zingiber officinale) rhizome
6 cinnamon (Cinnamomum spp.) sticks
⅓ cup clove (Syzygium aromaticum) buds
Dehydrate the Apples
- Preheat the oven to 225 levels Fahrenheit.
- When you’re ready for the oven to come back to temp, slice the apples very thinly and lay the slices on a lined baking sheet in a single layer. (To assist stop the apple slices from browning, dip them in an answer of 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice per quart of water after which pat dry earlier than putting them on the baking sheet.)
- Bake for about 1 hour, then flip the slices and bake for an additional hour. Cooking time will differ primarily based in your apple slices’ thickness, however they’re completed after they have a leathery texture.
- (When you have a meals dehydrator, you should utilize that as a substitute and observe the directions in your handbook.)
- Let apple slices cool fully earlier than including them to your potpourri jar.
Mixing the Potpourri
- As a result of these are designed as items, presentation is vital! It’s greatest to layer the substances immediately in your jar in a approach that’s visibly pleasing to the attention. The apple slices and cinnamon sticks take up probably the most house, and you may fill within the gaps with spices.
- For a novel of completion, thread some twine or ornamental ribbon via a dried apple slice and tie it across the exterior of the jar.
To make use of your mix, add the whole combine to a stockpot or crockpot, cowl with water, then simmer on and off for a number of days. Flip the warmth off any time the scent turns into overpowering or in the event you really feel your property smells sufficiently pleasant. After a number of hours have handed, and the scent has pale, flip the warmth again on for a contemporary infusion. This mix will final 3-Four days and needs to be saved within the fridge in a single day.
After you’ve extracted as a lot of the scent as attainable, compost your spent herbs and spices and use any remaining water to provide your houseplants a style of apple pie.
This Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Potpourri mix is a stupendous reward and a enjoyable option to infuse your property with the scent of the vacations. Plus, this all-natural recipe will allow you to keep away from the overly highly effective scent of artificial fragrances. When you’re occupied with extra stovetop potpourri recipes, then see our put up 3 Stovetop Potpourri Recipes for Winter.