Well being minister and Conservative MP Nadine Dorries says she has been identified with coronavirus.
Ms Dorries, the primary MP to check optimistic, mentioned she had taken all of the suggested precautions after discovering out, and had been self-isolating at dwelling.
It comes as a sixth individual died from the virus within the UK, which has a complete of 382 circumstances.
The newest individual to die was a person in his early 80s who had underlying well being situations.
In the meantime, NHS England mentioned it was scaling up its capacity for testing people for the an infection, with the variety of circumstances set to rise.
That may imply 10,000 exams a day will be carried out – presently 1,500 are being carried out.
Affirmation of any optimistic check outcomes may also be accelerated with most individuals getting a consequence again inside 24 hours.
Ms Dorries, the MP for Mid Bedfordshire, mentioned in an announcement that Public Well being England had began tracing folks she had had contact with, and the division and her parliamentary workplace had been intently following its recommendation.
The 62-year-old, who started her profession as a nurse, later tweeted that it had been “pretty rubbish but I hope I’m over the worst of it now“.
However she added she was apprehensive about her 84-year-old mom who was staying together with her and started to cough on Tuesday.
It isn’t recognized what number of conferences Ms Dorries had attended at Westminster or in her constituency in latest days.
The Division of Well being mentioned she first confirmed signs on Thursday – the identical day she attended a Downing Road occasion hosted by the prime minister – and had been self-isolating since Friday.
No 10 didn’t touch upon whether or not Boris Johnson had undergone testing, or whether or not he’ll now be examined.
All well being ministers, together with Well being Secretary Matt Hancock, are to bear testing for the virus, together with different officers who’ve come into contact with Ms Dorries.
Mr Hancock tweeted that she had “carried out the precise factor” by self-isolating at dwelling and wished “her properly as she recovers”.
He added: “I perceive why individuals are apprehensive about this illness. We’ll do all we will to maintain folks protected, primarily based on the absolute best science.”
Public Well being England has already carried out greater than 25,000 coronavirus exams throughout the UK.
NHS chief scientific officer Prof Dame Sue Hill mentioned the well being service was getting ready to deal with extra circumstances.
“Each hospital throughout the nation, and the healthcare professionals who run them, are actually actively planning to reply flexibly to handle new demand.”
Scotland, Wales and Northern Eire will probably be anticipated to roll out their very own testing providers, however there will probably be some shared capability between nations, relying on want.
There are 91 in London, with the following highest contaminated space being south-east, with 51 circumstances. Circumstances by native council space in England can be viewed here.
The latest person to die, on Monday night, was a person with underlying well being situations who was being handled at Watford Normal Hospital.
He caught the virus within the UK and officers are attempting to hint who he had been in touch with.
The UK International Workplace has warned Britons in opposition to all however important journey to Italy, which is experiencing the worst outbreak exterior China, after it introduced strict travel restrictions.
Italians are being informed to remain dwelling, search permission for important journey, and provides justification in the event that they wish to depart the nation.
The International Workplace is advising anybody arriving within the UK from Italy since Monday night to self-isolate for 14 days.
The federal government says it has services to accommodate Italian guests to the UK who must self-isolate.
British Airways has cancelled all of its flights to and from Italy till four April, and has requested employees to take voluntary unpaid depart.
Easyjet, Ryanair and Jet2 are also cancelling their flights on Italian routes, although EasyJet will function “rescue flights” to convey British travellers dwelling within the coming days.
‘Enter outlets separately’
“It is the weirdest vacation I feel I’ve ever been on,” mentioned Hannah Butcher, from Newbury, Berkshire, who’s in Rome together with her husband for his or her first vacation alone since having a toddler.
“We arrived on Sunday. The recommendation then was so long as you are not going into Italy’s pink zone, you are OK.
“We’re presently sitting in a restaurant and everybody right here is in staggered rows as a result of they’ve to take a seat one metre aside. It is fairly bizarre seeing households unfold throughout a number of tables.”
She added that individuals are “solely allowed to enter outlets separately”.
“All of the points of interest are closed; there are queues out the door of supermarkets and the butchers. There are police driving spherical ensuring the foundations are enforced and a noticeable armed police presence, presumably to maintain order.”
She mentioned they had been because of fly dwelling with Ryanair on Wednesday morning and had not been knowledgeable of any flight updates.
In different developments:
- Manchester Metropolis’s Premier League match in opposition to Arsenal on Wednesday has been postponed as “a precautionary measure” due to the outbreak. The choice was made after it emerged “personnel” from Arsenal had come into contact with Olympiakos proprietor Evangelos Marinakis, who tested positive for the virus
- The federal government is contemplating a policy of “cocooning” groups of people who are most vulnerable, equivalent to older folks in care houses, who could also be saved aside from the broader inhabitants
- Nice Ormond Road youngsters’s hospital cancelled some non-essential cardiac operations for 2 weeks after a well being employee in its cardiology division examined optimistic for the virus
- Royal Financial institution of Scotland, Lloyds and TSB banks mentioned they’d enable clients to defer mortgage funds if wanted
- One of many UK’s greatest insurers, Aviva, has cut back on the cover available in new journey insurance coverage insurance policies due to coronavirus, with folks not ready so as to add cowl for “journey disruption”
- The Church of England has urged parishes to cease contact throughout providers – together with sharing the chalice and shaking palms for the signal of the peace
- British nationals who had been on board the virus-hit Grand Princess cruise ship are being flown again to the UK the place they’ll go into self-isolation