Twelve extra individuals in England and one in Scotland have examined optimistic for coronavirus, taking the overall variety of UK instances to 36.
Scotland confirmed that its first patient was a Tayside resident who just lately returned from Italy.
Three of the brand new instances in England have been linked to a person from Surrey, who was the first to be infected within the UK.
It comes after Well being Secretary Matt Hancock stated the UK was nonetheless within the “containment” section of the outbreak.
He stated the federal government contingency plans, which can be printed this week, included banning massive occasions.
The Scottish authorities confirmed its first case on Sunday night. It stated the affected person was receiving therapy in isolation in hospital.
Three of the brand new instances introduced on Sunday have been shut contacts of the person from Surrey, who was introduced as testing optimistic on Friday.
They included one other individual from Surrey and two individuals from West Sussex who have been all “a part of an grownup household cluster”, Public Well being England stated.
One other new case from Essex had “no related journey” and it was unclear how they’d contracted the virus.
The remaining eight had visited affected areas – six to Italy, and two to Iran. They have been from London, West Yorkshire, Better Manchester, Hertfordshire and Gloucestershire and included:
- One individual from Bury, who had become infected in Italy.
- Two Leeds residents, who had each been in Iran
- One individual from Bradford, who had travelled to Italy
- Somebody from Gloucestershire – contaminated in northern Italy – who’s linked to a different case from the world introduced on Saturday
Prof Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, stated all the newly recognized instances have been being investigated and well being officers had begun tracing anybody who had shut contact with them.
As of 09:00 GMT on Sunday, the Division of Well being stated a complete of 11,750 individuals had been examined within the UK.
The most recent optimistic exams come after three more cases were confirmed in England on Saturday.
A type of was a member of employees at St Mary’s College in Tetbury, Gloucestershire, the first faculty stated on Sunday.
That follows one other faculty – Willow Financial institution Toddler College in Woodley, Berkshire – confirming that one in every of its employees had been contaminated.
The government has said no tactics will be “off the table” as a part of its plan to include the virus within the UK.
Mr Hancock informed the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show an emergency “battle plan”, drawn up for the “worst case situation”, contains banning massive occasions, closing colleges and dissuading individuals from utilizing public transport.
The well being secretary stated there have been 4 phases to the plan:
- Containment – caring for any contaminated individuals and figuring out their shut contacts
- Delay – deciding what actions to take to decelerate the unfold
- Mitigation – harm limitation if the virus spreads extensively
- Analysis – fixed and ongoing work to tell the three different phases
Presently, the UK is within the “containment” section – which well being leaders say should be ample.
However the subsequent section might see broader “social distancing” measures.
Matt Hancock would have been warned there was a robust chance there can be a leap in instances when he did his interview for the Andrew Marr Present.
Just a few hours later the largest enhance in a single day was introduced, with 12 extra individuals testing optimistic for the coronavirus. That is why he went additional than earlier than in setting out potential authorities plans to deal with an accelerated unfold of the virus across the UK if that occurs.
College closures, cancellations of main public occasions and strikes to steer individuals to work from home are clearly choices being actively thought of.
The technique appears to be to warn that troublesome measures could also be wanted whereas specializing in making an attempt to include the unfold of the virus. As one authorities supply put it, “put together for the worst, work for the perfect”.
Labour shadow well being secretary Jonathan Ashworth stated Mr Hancock should give extra element of any emergency powers he needs to usher in in order that MPs “can correctly scrutinise” the plans.
In the meantime, Lib Dem MP Layla Moran has written to the health secretary to induce him to verify persons are paid in the event that they need to self-isolate, in any other case there might be “devastating” results.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who will chair a gathering of the federal government’s Cobra emergency committee on Monday, visited Public Well being England’s centre in north London on Sunday to debate makes an attempt to restrict the unfold of the virus.
He stated the virus was “more likely to unfold a bit extra” however he was “very, very assured” the NHS would have the ability to deal with an outbreak.
Greater than 200 British holidaymakers locked down at a quarantined lodge in Tenerife have been informed they are going to be allowed to fly residence, in the event that they check damaging for the virus.
The travellers have been quarantined on the H10 Costa Adeje Palace lodge since Tuesday after 4 Italians contracted the virus. Some have already been allowed to go away however others are awaiting check outcomes.
The Overseas Workplace is in touch with operators and journey brokers about their plans to return Britons to the UK.
What do I have to know in regards to the coronavirus?
- WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS? A simple guide
- WAYS TO PREVENT CATCHING IT: How to wash your hands
- WHERE ARE WE WITH A VACCINE? Progress so far
- A VISUAL GUIDE TO THE OUTBREAK: Virus maps and charts
- WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR MY HOLIDAY? Your rights as a traveller
Globally, round 86,00zero individuals have been contaminated, with instances in additional than 50 international locations. About 3,00zero individuals have died – the overwhelming majority in China’s Hubei province, the place the outbreak originated in December.
In different developments:
- The Overseas Workplace has introduced some British Embassy employees are being withdrawn from Iran due to the outbreak within the nation. Iran reported 385 new instances on Sunday, bringing the overall to 978 thus far. The demise toll rose to 54
- Overseas Secretary Dominic Raab has examined damaging for the virus. The Overseas Workplace stated he self-isolated after feeling unwell this week – and has returned to work for the reason that check outcome
- A secondary school in Ireland is to close for 14 days as a result of the nation’s first confirmed case had been in touch with its pupils and academics
- In Paris, the Louvre museum did not open on Sunday. The museum stated on Twitter a gathering was being held on the general public well being scenario and “the museum can not open in the intervening time”.
- Australia and Thailand recorded their first fatalities from the virus on Sunday. A 78-year-old Australian man died after being contaminated on the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan. Thailand stated the 35-year-old man who died of the virus had additionally been affected by dengue fever
- The chief of a spiritual sect in South Korea – which is going through the worst outbreak outdoors China – could face a homicide investigation over a number of the nation’s deaths. Lee Man-hee is accused of hiding the names of some members as officers tried to trace sufferers earlier than the virus unfold
Please embrace a contact quantity in case you are keen to talk to a BBC journalist. You too can contact us within the following methods: