Ten extra individuals within the UK have died within the final 24 hours after testing optimistic for coronavirus, bringing the overall variety of deaths to 21.
The UK authorities’s chief medical adviser stated the sufferers have been all in “at-risk” teams from throughout England.
The whole variety of confirmed instances within the UK has reached 1,140 whereas 37,746 individuals have been examined.
It comes as US President Donald Trump decided to suspend all travel from the US to the UK and Ireland.
Vice chairman Mike Pence stated the ban would start at midnight on Monday japanese commonplace time (04:00 GMT), following a “unanimous suggestion” from well being specialists.
The US has already banned journey from 26 European countries.
Of the most recent deaths within the UK, eight have been males aged over 80 and all however one have been identified to have underlying well being circumstances.
They have been in being handled in hospitals in Buckinghamshire, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Leicester, London and Chester.
Prof Whitty, the UK authorities’s chief medical adviser, stated: “I perceive this improve within the variety of deaths linked to Covid-19 will likely be a trigger for concern for a lot of. The general public ought to know each measure we’re taking is searching for to save lots of lives and shield essentially the most weak.”
People who find themselves self-isolating with gentle signs are now not being examined for the virus. The federal government stated on Friday it estimated the true variety of UK instances to be round 5,000 to 10,000.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been assembly with officers at Downing Avenue to debate the pandemic.
A new child child and its mom are among the many newest new instances of the virus in England.
Medics try to verify whether or not the child, who was examined at North Middlesex Hospital, was contaminated throughout delivery or earlier than, in response to the Sun newspaper.
The Royal Faculty of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists stated there was no proof the virus might be handed on from pregnant girls to infants earlier than delivery, however that because of how little is understood in regards to the new virus it would continue to update its guidance.
Government advice provides there may be “no scientific proof” to counsel the virus might be transmitted via breast milk.
“An infection might be unfold to the child in the identical means as to anybody in shut contact with you,” it says.
Folks visiting aged and weak relations have been reminded to take further care, after the government released new advice.
Care dwelling suppliers ought to ask anybody who’s “typically unwell” to not go to, the recommendation says.
In the meantime, authorities sources stated mass gatherings might soon be banned in the UK to ease pressure on emergency services. It’s thought a ban may take impact as early as subsequent weekend.
Occasions nonetheless set to go forward embody the Grand Nationwide in April, the 75th anniversary VE Day commemorations and Chelsea Flower Present in Might, and Glastonbury Festival in June.
The rise in instances within the UK comes as individuals proceed to stockpile meals and home goods. The federal government has stated there was “no want” for individuals to take action however has additionally relaxed restrictions on supply hours for retailers to verify they continue to be stocked.
On-line grocery store Ocado has taken its app offline because of “efficiency points pushed by continued excessive demand” whereas the web site has crashed for a lot of customers.
Former MP Luciana Berger known as for members of the general public to “look out for” one another after she stated a person in a London grocery store refused to present an aged girl considered one of his packets of pasta.
She stated the incident, which she posted about on Twitter, was “very upsetting”.
In the meantime British holidaymakers face being stranded overseas as Spain is ready to start a two-week state of emergency, with bars, eating places, retailers and actions all closed.
Seven Jet2 planes heading to Spain have been turned around in mid-air because the airline cancelled all flights to the mainland, Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands. The agency says it has suspended all holidays and flights to all of Spain for a minimum of per week.
The International and Commonwealth Workplace (FCO) has suggested towards all however important journey to parts of Spain in addition to the entire of Poland.
The Polish authorities is closing all its borders for 10 days at midnight. Some non-Polish nationals – equivalent to spouses or youngsters of Polish nationals – will nonetheless be allowed to enter the nation,
All flights to and from Poland by airways within the Ryanair group have been cancelled from midnight on Saturday to midnight on 31 March.
In different developments:
- All Apple shops outdoors of what the tech big calls “Larger China” – that’s China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan – have been closed for 2 weeks. The tech big reopened all 42 of its Chinese stores on Friday after they have been closed for a month, inflicting an enormous drop in iPhone gross sales
- The Labour Social gathering and GMB union are calling for the federal government to make use of empty beds in “plush non-public hospitals” to ease the strain on the NHS. The union says there are about 8,000 beds within the UK’s non-public hospitals
- Catholic church buildings are getting ready for the chance they might have to suspend the celebration of Mass
- Most of the world’s major sporting events have been postponed or cancelled due to the pandemic, together with the Edinburgh Marathon
- Bathtub’s annual half marathon goes forward on Sunday regardless of native MP Wera Hobhouse saying it ought to be cancelled. Organisers said it is “now too late to cancel or postpone the occasion”
- The Nationwide Schooling Union has written to the prime minister to ask why the federal government has determined to not shut faculties to assist cut back the unfold of the virus and asking for “fuller disclosure” of the fashions it has used throughout its decision-making course of
Please embody a contact quantity in case you are keen to talk to a BBC journalist. You too can contact us within the following methods: