Selfmade caramel apples are a agency fall favourite and a enjoyable option to eat freshly picked native produce. Herbalist Brigitte Mars (2010) presents a more healthy different, a caramel apple dip that’s positive to fulfill your harvest time cravings. Through the use of softened dates as an alternative of processed sugar—and domestically sourced natural apples as an alternative of big-box retailer bargains—your wholesome do-it-yourself caramel apples won’t solely style good, you’ll really feel good too!
“The healthful vitamins in apples embody beta-carotene, nutritional vitamins C and B, calcium, phosphorus, boron, polyphenols and pectin (Mars, 2004). Pectin is a soluble fiber that, together with the polyphenols in apples, helps to decrease ldl cholesterol, specifically damaging LDL ldl cholesterol (“Apples,” n.d). Pectin additionally provides bulk to the weight loss plan aiding the physique in waste removing and therefore serving to to alleviate constipation (Justis, 2015).”
“Apples have many therapeutic properties. They’re cooling, antibacterial and antiviral, astringent, and anti inflammatory (Mars, 2004). Apples assist to advertise a wholesome immune system whereas additionally aiding in balancing blood sugar (Justis, 2015).”
Wholesome Caramel Apples
- 6 recent natural apples, washed
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons uncooked tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 2 cups finely chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts)
- 6 skewers or chopsticks
- Soak the pitted dates in a single cup of water till softened. (Roughly 2-Three hours or in a single day)
- Place dates, water, tahini, vanilla extract, and salt in a meals processor and mix till clean. This creates the wholesome caramel apple dip.
- Push a chopstick by way of the core of every of the washed apples.
- Coat every apple with the caramel, utilizing the stick as a dipping deal with.
- Place chopped nuts in a bowl sufficiently big to embody the apples.
- Roll the apples within the nuts whereas the caramel continues to be sticky.
- Place on a ceramic plate and refrigerate to harden.
This caramel apple recipe requires uncooked tahini. Tahini is simply sesame seed (Sesamum indicum) blended right into a paste with slightly added mild olive oil to enhance the feel. Upcycle chopsticks from the kitchen drawer in your skewers to make your wholesome caramel apples much more planet-friendly.
Ensure to not waste leftover caramel dip. When you run out of skewers, slice up apples for hand dipping.
For extra harvest time apple recipes, try: Harvest Time Apple Recipes
Apples. (n.d.). “What’s New and Useful About Apples” Retrieved from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=15
Justis, A. (2015). Harvest time apple recipes [Blog Post]. Retrieved from https://theherbalacademy.com/harvest-time-apple-recipes
Mars, B. (2010). Rawsome caramel apples for the vacations [Online Article]. Retrieved from http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/10/rawsome-caramel-apples-for-the-holidays-brigitte-mars
Minimalist Baker (2020). How you can make tahini [Blog Post]. Retrieved from https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-tahini/#:~:text=Tahini%20is%20made%20by%20grinding,The%20possibilities%20are%20endless