Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Think about a world the place kids happily keep themselves busy and learning whereas doing actions that they love and studying math on the identical time. A spot the place children compete in a pleasant method by doing athletic actions, artistic video games, and studying books.
Sounds too good to be true, proper?
I’ve all the time heard that necessity is the mom of invention and that is definitely true of this Journey Factors concept. Ever had a kind of motherhood moments the place each baby wanted one thing on the identical time, one had simply spilled a smoothie in every single place and the child wanted a diaper change?
I had a kind of moments and realized that for the sake of my sanity and the children’ exercise ranges I wanted to have a plan for summer season that didn’t contain them watching TV every single day.
We reinstitute the system each summer season or over breaks. It places my children’ pure artistic and aggressive sides to work for the nice of all!
What Are Journey Factors?
We have already got the “Mom I’m Bored Jar” which works rather well however is extra of a assist when they’re already bored. I needed to discover a strategy to encourage them to discover actions with out losing interest within the first place.
In brief, it is a easy system of factors for doing artistic or athletic actions that encourages motion and creative play over TV watching. It additionally has surprisingly lowered the bickering and preventing in our home.
The thought for the identify “Journey Factors” got here from my kids’ hiking boots, which they name “Journey Boots” since they put on them for mountain climbing, fort constructing, and different out of doors adventures.
How Journey Factors Work
I sat down with a bit of paper and considered actions I needed my children to do that summer season and assigned some extent worth to every. The youngsters helped me brainstorm and we got here up with an enormous checklist of actions that they take pleasure in (that don’t contain a display screen or a snack). Issues like:
- Driving bikes (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Pull-ups = 2 factors every
- Push-ups = 1 level every
- Swimming = (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Drawing (30 minutes) = 5 factors
- Getting ready a meal for the household = 20 factors
- Studying a ebook = 5 factors
- Studying a chapter ebook = 20 factors
- Fort-building = 20 factors per hour
- Folding origami (30 minutes) = 10 factors (Nice tutorials in this book)
- Make paper airplanes (30 minutes) = 10 factors (They love this book for ideas)
- Draw with sidewalk chalk (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Learn to a sibling (30 minutes) = 25 factors every
- Climb a tree = 5 factors per tree
- Do a chore (not on common chore checklist) = 10 factors
- Play Monopoly = 15 factors
- Play Scrabble = 15 factors
- Play Battleship = 10 factors
- Play Chess = 10 factors
- Play Uno = 5 factors
- Play Struggle (card sport) = 10 factors
- Play Apples to Apples = 10 factors
- Play hopscotch = 2 factors
- Jump rope = Three factors
- Weed backyard (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Play a sport of wiffle ball = 15 factors
- Water the crops = 5 factors
- Run across the yard 5 occasions = 10 factors
- Soar on the trampoline for 10 minutes = Three factors
- Do a puzzle = 20 factors
- Do 25 cartwheels = 10 factors
- Write and mail a letter to associates or household = 10 factors
- Create a scavenger hunt for siblings = 10 factors
- Play Legos (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Get caught doing one thing sudden and type = 50 factors bonus
- Rollerblade outdoors (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Hearken to a historical past podcast = 10 factors
- Watch a TED speak (from this list) = 10 factors
- Watch/do a lesson from Udemy or Great Courses = 15 factors
I considered about 50 actions that have been value factors and assigned values to every. Then, I made an inventory of enjoyable household actions that may be good targets for milestone factors. 100 factors would earn a wholesome dessert after dinner one night time whereas 1000 factors would earn a bigger reward like a particular exercise, new artwork provides, or a contribution towards one thing they’ve been wanting. (Tip: Use belongings you plan on doing anyway! That is only a enjoyable method for the children to earn them).
I’ve additionally discovered that the children are excited to be useful round the home after I supply “bonus factors” for doing factor above and past their normal responsibilities.
After just a few days of utilizing the system, I made a decision to create two separate lists for older children (5+) and youthful ones (Four and below) to match their ability ranges for the reason that youthful children have been being left behind by older children (who may do many extra pull-ups!).
How one can Implement Journey Factors
For those who’d like to do this system (and I’d extremely suggest it!), listed below are just a few ideas for getting began:
1. Resolve on Actions That Work in Your Dwelling/Yard
Make an inventory of actions you’d like your children to do and break it down by age group if wanted. Determine how a lot every exercise is value within the level system you’d like to make use of and assign some extent worth to every. Be at liberty to make use of my checklist as a begin!
2. Resolve on Rewards
Chances are high that whereas factors are an incredible motivator, your children gained’t be thrilled with simply incomes factors that don’t imply something. Resolve on what the factors will enable the children to do or earn and create an inventory of this for the children. We attempt to focus on activities and experiences rather than stuff so our rewards have been actions, however bodily rewards will be nice too particularly if they are going to assist children be lively or construct a life ability.
Some concepts of fabric rewards that encourage studying:
3. Monitor the Factors
I spotted that the system wouldn’t encourage the impartial artistic time I hoped for if the children needed to verify in with me each time they did an exercise to get the factors. I made a decision to make use of the distinction system (which has labored rather well to this point) and get every child a small spiral notebook to trace factors. This manner, the children observe their factors every day and I simply tally as soon as a day to maintain the operating totals.
I additionally created a chart to assist observe the factors for every exercise. You can download a copy for yourself here.
4. Get pleasure from Watching Your Children Be taught and Play!
I used to be actually hoping that creating “Journey Factors” would liberate a few of my time by stopping the refrains of “I’m bored” and “Can we watch a film.” It definitely has and I’m positively grateful for that.
I’ve discovered that much more than the free time, I’ve loved watching my children creativity soar and the older children play with the youthful ones extra simply since they’ve extra construction and concepts for actions (and since there’s a purpose in thoughts). Additionally, preserving observe of factors has been a enjoyable and sudden math increase for the little children as I hold listening to questions like “Does 243 plus 15 equal 258?!” ?
Your flip! What are some enjoyable methods you encourage creativity and exercise throughout free time at house?