Therapeutic massage oil, particularly when infused with herbs, will be greater than only a feel-good pores and skin moisturizer. Ayurveda teaches that fats is intently related to like, satisfaction, and safety (Svoboda, 1999). Along with nourishing and nurturing the pores and skin, utilizing herbally infused selfmade therapeutic massage oils produces a grounding, supportive, and protecting impact on the physique and thoughts. Each day self-massage with oil, referred to as abhyanga, is a superb apply for soothing vata dosha particularly however will be practiced with profit by every kind. The bottom oil and herbs will be tailored based mostly upon your structure and the season.
Kapha dosha predominates throughout late winter and early spring (O’Donnell, 2015). This time of 12 months is marked by heaviness and dampness. Subsequently, this kapha therapeutic massage oil recipe options herbs and spices with a warming and invigorating vitality. Mustard oil is gentle and warming, so it really works effectively as a base throughout the kapha time of 12 months. Almond oil is an efficient substitute in order for you an oil with a barely sweeter, extra soothing vitality.
Kapha Therapeutic massage Oil Recipe
For simplicity, you should use any mixture of the herbs instructed so long as the entire quantities to 1 ounce of herb by weight. Yield: Four ounces.
1 ounce whole any mixture of black pepper (Piper nigrum) fruit, clove (Syzygium aromaticum), dried ginger (Zingiber officinale) rhizome, calamus (Acorus calamus) rhizome, juniper (Juniperus spp.) berries, mustard (Brassica nigra) seeds, and orange (Citrus spp.) peel
6 ounces mustard oil
16 ounces water
- Place your herbs of selection (totaling one ounce) in a medium-sized saucepan with water.
- Carry combination to a boil after which simmer till water is decreased by 50%.
- Take away combination from warmth.
- Add the oil to your saucepan together with the infusion/decoction and herbs.
- Warmth till the water and oil simply begin to bubble, then scale back warmth to a low simmer.
- Stir often and make sure that the herbs should not scalding or sticking to the underside of the pan.
- Simmer till all water evaporates and solely oil and herbs stay.
- Search for these indicators to point that water has evaporated: solely very small bubbles being produced. (Oil creates small bubbles, whereas water creates massive bubbles.) Maintain a dry glass or glass plate over the pot. Should you see any condensation, which means there’s nonetheless water left.
- Once you assume the combination is prepared or near it, go forward and pressure out the herbs. Try to be left with 4-6 ounces of liquid oil. If you find yourself with extra, simmer a bit longer.
To Use: Retailer in a capped glass jar or bottle out of direct daylight and apply to pores and skin every day—or as incessantly as you want!
Extra Therapeutic massage Oil Recipes
O’Donnell, Ok. (2015). The everyday ayurveda cookbook: a seasonal guide to eating and living well. Boulder, CO: Shambala.