Therapeutic massage oil, particularly when infused with herbs, may be greater than only a feel-good pores and skin moisturizer. Ayurveda teaches that fats is carefully related to like, satisfaction, and safety (Svoboda, 1999). Along with nourishing and nurturing the pores and skin, utilizing herbally infused do-it-yourself therapeutic massage oils produces a grounding, supportive, and protecting impact on the physique and thoughts. Each day self-massage with oil, known as abhyanga, is a superb observe for soothing vata dosha particularly however may be practiced with profit by all sorts. The bottom oil and herbs may be tailored based mostly upon your structure and the season.
Ayurveda teaches that every season corresponds to a number of of the doshas. Pitta dosha predominates throughout the summer time and late spring—the recent and fiery time of yr (O’Donnell, 2015). Subsequently, this pitta therapeutic massage oil recipe focuses on herbs and spices with a cooling energy.
Pitta Therapeutic massage Oil Recipe
Sunflower oil is mild and funky in nature, and due to this fact works properly throughout the pitta time of yr. For simplicity, you need to use any mixture of the herbs steered so long as the overall quantity provides as much as one ounce of herb by weight. Yield: Four ounces.
1 ounce complete any mixture of gotu kola (Centella asiatica) aerial elements, guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) stem, hibiscus (Hibiscus sabdariffa) flowers, lavender (Lavandula spp.) flowers, manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) root, rose (Rosa spp.) flowers, or shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) root
6 ounces sunflower oil
16 ounces water
- Relying on which herbs you select to make use of, place the onerous herb elements (roots, bark) and water collectively in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Deliver combination to a boil after which simmer till water is diminished by 50%.
- Take away combination from warmth. Add the comfortable elements (flowers, leaves, or stems) and let steep, lined, for 30-60 minutes. (In the event you solely use the comfortable herb elements, then deliver water to a boil, take away from warmth, add herbs, cowl, and steep for 30-60 minutes. In the event you solely use the onerous elements, then proceed to the subsequent step after the water is diminished by 50%, it doesn’t have to steep any longer.)
- Add the oil to your saucepan together with the infusion/decoction and herbs.
- Warmth till the water and oil simply begin to bubble, then scale back warmth to a low simmer.
- Stir often and make sure that the herbs aren’t scalding or sticking to the underside of the pan.
- Simmer till all water evaporates and solely oil and herbs stay.
- Search for these indicators to point that water has evaporated: solely very small bubbles being produced. (Oil creates small bubbles, whereas water creates massive bubbles.) Maintain a dry glass or glass plate over the pot. In the event you see any condensation, meaning there may be nonetheless water left.
- Once you suppose the combination is prepared or near it, go forward and pressure out the herbs. You ought to be left with 4-6 ounces of liquid oil. If you find yourself with extra, simmer a bit longer.
To Use: Retailer in a capped glass jar or bottle out of direct daylight and apply to pores and skin day by day—or as ceaselessly as you want!
Extra Therapeutic massage Oil Recipes
O’Donnell, Okay. (2015). The everyday ayurveda cookbook: a seasonal guide to eating and living well. Boulder, CO: Shambala.