For years, I’ve been experimenting with gluten-free chocolate cake recipe after recipe, and more often than not, they turned out … okay. I’d add just a little of this, maintain again on that, take the the very best of the crumbly one with good taste, merge it with the tender one which isn’t almost chocolatey sufficient. Add a melted chocolate bar or persist with cocoa powder? Dairy or no dairy? Further egg to make it fluffy, or much less egg for a richer, denser chew?
Properly, as we speak is an efficient day. After attempting each trick, hack, and ingredient mixture underneath the solar, I believe I discovered the gluten-free chocolate cake recipe of my desires (and yours, too).
What did it? This gluten-free chocolate cake has a secret ingredient that I’m going to begin including to much more of my flourless desserts.
This ingredient turned a type of dry-looking, gloopy dough right into a dreamy batter that I knew would bake up into the tender, springy cake that I bear in mind from my gluten-happy childhood. And, I used to be proper. This ingredient added stability (typically arduous to come back by in gluten-free desserts), moisture, and tenderness, and its refined tanginess actually awakened the wealthy chocolate taste.
Do you wish to know what the key ingredient is? You in all probability have it in your pantry proper now.
I do know, mayo is in regards to the least attractive dessert ingredient you’ll be able to consider, however belief me on this one. Whenever you’re working with an almond flour cake recipe, mayo provides one thing particular. Should you’re not sure, don’t let it maintain you from attempting this chocolate cake recipe. I promise you gained’t style it such as you would in, say, a turkey sandwich. But it surely helps the flavors in your cake get to know one another, and your completed product develops a decadently fudgy texture after it’s been refrigerated.
Nonetheless hesitant? It’s only one/Four cup of mayo. Don’t be scared.
Let’s make some cake.
Tender, Springy Gluten-free Chocolate Cake Recipe (with Dairy-free Possibility)
- 5.5 oz. chopped 70% cacao or increased darkish chocolate (use a dairy-free chocolate if you wish to maintain it dairy-free)
- 1/Three cup honey (the type that pours simply)
- 1/Four cup coconut oil (refined or unrefined)
- half tsp. almond extract
- half tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/Four cup mayo made with avocado oil
- Four eggs, room temperature and separated
- 3/Four cup almond flour
- 1/Four cup cocoa powder (plus extra, for dusting the pan)
- half tsp. salt
- 1/Four tsp. baking powder
- Avocado oil spray
- To garnish: Further darkish chocolate to drizzle on high and berries
Preheat your oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit. Soften the chocolate utilizing a double boiler methodology. Fill a pot with a number of inches of water and warmth it over medium warmth. Place the chocolate in a heat-safe bowl that’s bigger than the diameter of the pot. As soon as the water is sizzling, place the bowl over the pot. Use a spoon or spatula to combine the chocolate to encourage it to soften.
If the bowl will get too sizzling, you’ll be able to flip off the warmth. The residual warmth of the water will proceed to soften the chocolate. Combine till the chocolate is clean and melted. Alternatively, you’ll be able to soften the chocolate by microwaving it in 20 second increments till melted and clean. Watch out with the microwave methodology although, it could burn shortly!
Stir within the honey, coconut oil, almond extract and vanilla extract till the coconut oil is melted and every little thing is mixed.
Set the chocolate combination apart to chill.
In one other bowl (or in the identical bowl because the melted chocolate if the chocolate is cooled off), combine collectively the egg yolks and the mayonnaise.
Combine within the almond flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Combine collectively the chocolate combination and the mayo combination in a single bowl till every little thing is mixed.
Place the egg whites in a big clear metallic or glass bowl. Use a whisk or hand mixer to whip the eggs till stiff peaks type.
Use a silicone spatula to fold small quantities of the crushed egg whites into the batter, gently folding the whites into the batter in a sweeping movement to stop deflating the egg whites an excessive amount of. Proceed folding till there are not any streaks from the egg whites left within the batter.
Spray your 7” springform pan with avocado oil. Use a sifter to sift some cocoa powder across the backside and sides of the pan till the inside of the pan is roofed with a skinny layer of cocoa powder. Pour the batter into the pan and place the pan on high of a sheet pan to catch any batter that may seep out of the edges.
Bake the cake for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, cut back the warmth to 325 levels. Bake for an extra 7-10 minutes, or till the highest of the cake has cracked barely and feels springy to the contact.
Enable the cake to chill, take away it from the pan, and high with melted chocolate, berries, or any toppings you’d like.
- This cake is mildly candy as written with 1/Three cup honey and 70% chocolate. For a sweeter cake, you’ll be able to add just a little extra honey or use a chocolate with a decrease cacao proportion. For a extra wealthy chocolate taste that’s much less candy, you should utilize a darker chocolate, however I like to recommend 70% right here.
- This recipe supplies directions for baking in a 7” springform pan, however you can too bake it in an 8” pan or a loaf pan. A loaf will take 40-50 minutes to prepare dinner and a cake in a bigger pan will take much less time than a 7 inch.
- As soon as the cake is cooled, lower it and retailer it within the fridge. The cake develops a divine fudgy texture as soon as chilly and is my most well-liked approach to take pleasure in it!
- Someway have leftovers? This cake freezes effectively. Merely wrap it tightly previous to freezing to stop freezer burn and to maintain the cake from drying out.