Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
My household enjoys hitting the native taco truck on occasion for a enjoyable dinner concept and a break from cooking. We particularly love their hen tacos which include a scrumptious taco slaw on high.
You most likely understand how a lot I really like recreating restaurant (or meals truck!) favorites at residence, and this one isn’t any completely different. I created this taco slaw to incorporate cabbage, cilantro, and lime for a shiny addition to tacos or as a wholesome and attractive aspect dish.
Is Taco Slaw Wholesome?
When your meals is contemporary and stuffed with colour (naturally), you might be fairly certain it’s wholesome! This taco slaw recipe is chock stuffed with vitamins from contemporary cabbage, cilantro, and carrots.
Right here’s a rundown of the good-for-you elements:
This vegetable is filled with vitamins that the physique must be at optimum well being, together with vitamin C, vitamin Ok, folate, manganese, vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Cabbage additionally accommodates a whole lot of fiber, which helps with digestion in addition to different processes within the physique.
This herb is filled with advantages. Cilantro accommodates nutritional vitamins and minerals resembling iron, vitamin C, riboflavin, and beta carotene. In conventional medication, cilantro has been used to stimulate urge for food and assist with digestion. The seeds (coriander seeds) are additionally used for indigestion, nausea, and dysentery. (Tip: We maximize our cilantro consumption by holding this easy cilantro pesto within the fridge and placing it on every part from salad to eggs.)
A (Very) Little Spice!
This taco slaw will get its taste from freshly squeezed lime, a contact of jalapeño, and a splash of rice vinegar. Do you know the juice of only one lime accommodates many vitamins, together with antioxidants and vitamin C? Diced jalapeños and onions additionally convey nutritional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to this dish.
Easy methods to Use Taco Slaw
Utilizing this taco slaw is straightforward. We love including it to the highest of hen or fish tacos (any taco actually!) or consuming it as a aspect with tacos or different Mexican-inspired dishes. I’ve even blended it into salads for extra colour and selection.
Love Tacos? Extra Mexican and Tex-Mex Impressed Recipes
If your loved ones loves Mexican impressed meals as a lot as mine does, you’ll love these recipes:
- Steak Fajita Salad – This recipe is scrumptious and a straightforward solution to rework leftover beef right into a second meal.
- Mexican Beef and Rice Bowls – I really like fast and simple meals and this one suits the invoice. It solely takes 30 minutes from begin to end (and tastes wonderful!).
- Grain-Free Taco Scramble – Fast meals are an ideal solution to educate youngsters how you can prepare dinner and this one is one in all our household’s favorites. My youngsters love this recipe for its taco taste and I find it irresistible for its veggie content material!
- Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl – Once we’re craving Chipotle, I make this copycat recipe at residence. It’s scrumptious and stuffed with wholesome elements.
- Huevos Rancheros – I first tried these whereas strolling throughout the nation with my future husband. However now that we’re grain-free I wanted to give you a variation that was nonetheless scrumptious however didn’t embrace corn. This was what I got here up with.
- Tex-Mex Lettuce Tacos – This easy taco recipe makes use of lettuce wraps as a substitute of tortillas which supplies it a crunch and coolness that common tacos lack.
I’m additionally wanting ahead to attempting this Spicy Southwestern Paleo Casserole that features shredded candy potatoes, spinach, and different nutrient-packed meals.
Taco Slaw Recipe
The native taco truck serves their hen tacos with cabbage, cilantro, and lime. That is my try to recreate their taco toppings.
- 1 head cabbage (small, finely shredded)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and finely minced)
- 1 crimson onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- ¼ cup contemporary cilantro (chopped)
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 lime (zested and juiced)
In a bowl, combine collectively the shredded cabbage, minced jalapeño, crimson onion, carrot, cilantro, vinegar, and lime zest and juice.
Toss by hand to evenly coat.
Serve with tacos or as a salad base for a taco salad. Or simply eat it plain!
What’s your favourite Mexican-inspired dish?