“Enfleurage” is a French phrase that you will have seen related to historic perfumery methods. In the event you’ve seen this mysterious phrase talked about in previous texts or publications, you most likely discovered your self questioning, “what’s enfleurage?” We dug into our Natural Perfumery Course to reply that query and to share a particular sneak peek into our most scent-sual on-line class.
Enfleurage is a standard French perfumery technique that makes use of recent flowers to create an fragrant stable fats, generally known as a pomade. The ensuing aromatic fats can be utilized as-is or made into stable perfumes, physique butters, soaps, lotions, or therapeutic massage oils. This technique is well-loved by perfumers, because it captures the true scent of the flowers and excels at retaining the highest notes of the aromatic materials, which are sometimes misplaced in oil infusions (McCoy, 2018).
The Enfleurage Course of
Any recent, sturdy, extremely aromatic flower that retains its scent for not less than a few days can be utilized for enfleurage, together with hyacinth (Hyacinthus orientalis), honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.), jasmine (Jasminum spp.), rose (Rosa spp.), lily (Lilium spp.), peony (Paeonia spp.), lilac (Syringa vulgaris), magnolia (Magnolia spp.), daffodil (Narcissus spp.), and gardenia (Gardenia spp.). Flowers must be harvested when freed from dew and rain and must be wilted barely earlier than use.
What’s Enfleurage? Elements and Provides
For the enfleurage course of, you’ll want the next substances and provides:
- Deodorized coconut shortening, shea butter, or lard (select a fats that’s stable at room temperature in your local weather)
- Recent, sturdy, aromatic flowers which are accessible for an prolonged time period
- Chrome steel or glass container with a lid
- Versatile spatula
- Butter knife
- Glass jar with a tight-fitting lid for storage
- Marker and label(s)
- Unfold the stable fats on the within of the underside of a container to a depth of roughly 0.5 inches (1.three cm). Alternatively, soften the stable fats over low warmth and pour it into the container.
- If desired, unfold further stable fats onto the lid of the container.
- Rating the stable fats flippantly with a butter knife to extend the floor space for the risky oils within the flowers to stick to.
- Lay freshly wilted flowers on prime of the layer of stable fats, urgent them in gently in order that they make contact with the fats, however usually are not submerged inside it.
- Place container in a darkish, cool, dry place.
- Cowl the container flippantly to keep away from particulates falling into the enfleurage, however don’t safe the lid tightly, as this may occasionally invite microbial progress.
- Test the enfleurage sometimes to verify not one of the flowers are molding and that they’re nonetheless releasing their perfume. Take away any rotting or browning materials.
- After 1-2 days (or as soon as the flowers have turned translucent, browned, or are now not aromatic), take away all flower materials. Tweezers could also be essential to keep away from leaving any flower particulates within the fats, which can invite microbial progress if not eliminated.
- Repeat steps 4-Eight as many occasions as you want till your required stage of perfume is achieved. This can be wherever from 6-36 occasions.
- If you find yourself pleased with the extent of perfume and have eliminated all flower materials, use a versatile spatula to maneuver the stable fats to a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Label, and retailer in a cool, darkish place for as much as 1 12 months.
We hope this submit has solved the perfumery thriller and answered your query of “what’s enfleurage?”
If making your personal fragrance from available plant materials or sustainably sourced important oils sparks your curiosity, then don’t miss our Natural Perfumery course! This on-line fragrant journey consists of all the knowledge you’ll want to begin mixing your personal botanical perfumes at dwelling in the present day, together with over 20 recipes, a particular assortment of perfumery plant monographs, easy rituals for incorporating them into your life-style, knowledgeable steering, and superbly illustrated downloads for security, sustainability, mixing methods, and extra.
McCoy, A. (2018). Do-it-yourself fragrance. Salem, MA: Web page Avenue Publishing Co.